April 19, 2009

Reaction: Viral Video Lecture

I shouldn’t admit this, but I’m always the last to know about viral videos. I didn’t know anything about the Dove Real Beauty campaign until I saw it in a PR class lecture, and apparently it was a really big deal. I wonder how I miss them and not know what’s going on. Viral videos are almost like a pop culture icon which will represent the age of social media.

Ever since I’ve taken this class, I’ve come to the realization that I always need to be exploring new technologies and social media. It’s not going to go away, and it’s not a fad. Social media has become a way of life because it’s about people. Social media is a new way to reach out to people and connect. Viral videos are a social media tool which get people talking to one another, not only creating buzz for the product. People are what make the video go viral in the first place as they send it to family and friends with which they want to share it. Social media is growing, and that seems to be a great thing.

No comments: