March 1, 2009

Reaction: A Guide to Blogger Relations by Brian Solis

Reaction to Blogger Relations - Brian Solis’ e-book
As a PR professional in the social media era, Brian Solis gives advice on how to connect with bloggers. The main point he tries to make is that “social media is about people (12).” As a part of the public, I always thought professionals’ focus should be pleasing the customer. Solis seems to agree, calling this concept common sense. He also says that PR professionals have become lazy, and social media has been the very best thing to happen to the field of PR. He says:
“The game of PR has largely enjoyed the comfort of existing behind-the- scenes and this exposure and public ridicule is forcing PR out of its comfort zone, which at the end of the day will only make PR stronger and more effective (18).”

As a public, I can only hope that this becomes true. As a professional, I think I’ll be under scrutiny for every move I make, but also I think it’s what PR was meant to be. As a professional, I’d like to establish relationships and keep them. Solis says that very few professionals take the time to build relationships with bloggers, and even their publics.

After reading “A Guide to Blogger Relations,” it’s clear that I have to do the best I possibly can to not be viewed as another annoying PR professional. Not all PR professionals are annoying, but they’re definitely viewed that way by techniques they’ve been using. The trick now, as I enter the workforce, is to know my public, know those who I want to help me, and know those bloggers.

No comments: